Top tips ... science with under 5s

Unknown // Monday 30 July 2012

Can you make eggs float?
 My science education at school was pants just about non-existent but luckily both dad and mum were scientists and mum was always convinced that even really young toddlers could be little "scientists" and enjoy simple, fun experiments through which they could "learn" a lot of science.

Saw this in action one evening completely by accident when little one was barely 2.  My purse with its usual pile of shrapnel had got tipped out on the kitchen floor and with grandma we started quite randomly picking up coins with some magnetic insects from Lamaze that little one had had since she was very small.  We ended up completely blowing bed time as we got absorbed in trying to work out which coins were magnetic - in my ignorance I thought they all were - and how many coins you could connect together before they stopped being magnetic.

This inspired me to put together - with lots of help from grandma - a list of  all sorts of fun science experiments for under 5s you could do with stuff that you have got around the house.  I confess I don't understand the science behind everything we're doing but my mum says that doesn't matter - the experience of experimenting and seeing things change is enough.  It's certainly lots of fun ... and another great way to entertain yourself in the rain!


*****************TODDLER SCIENCE LINKY *************************************
And if you've got any fab posts on your budding Einsteins do add them to the linky below ...

0 comments