Cool Chalkboard Ideas for Kids

Unknown // Wednesday 17 July 2013


I have just started my first chalkboard project ... a framed chalkboard that can be drawn on by my daughter but also be somewhere for her to stick a never ending stream of drawing, painting & sticking.

I know, I know I shouldn't bemoan her creativity ...

... but at the moment we have huge quantities of done in a second scribbles stuck ... at her insistence ... all over our sitting room wall.



So inspired by a friend across the street who up-cycled an old picture frame into a chalkboard for her kids' pictures we're making use of two old frames that have been stashed away under a bed for ages just waiting for a project.

As it's my first chalkboard project I inevitably went rooting around on Pinterest but also completely abused my position as a link party host ... (Empty Your Archive Tuesdays @ 9am EST) ... and put out the call for great chalkboard ideas and tips.

Lots of very kind, much-craftier-than-me bloggers responded to the call with links that you can check out at the bottom of this post ... (you can also add your own chalkboard posts of all sorts).

And looking through them I got completely excited about these great chalkboard ideas for kids that I know my daughter and all the other kids on our street will absolutely love ... and that I can't wait to start once we've got the frame finished this weekend.

Chalk Board ...

My idea is to put the board in an old frame as The Peer Review has done but with pictures stuck on it as well as chalk drawings ...




Chalk Wall

... but you could also just paint the wall and attach a frame like I Dig Pinterest has below ... and if you're nervous of creating a frame Camille at Six Sisters Stuff has a great beginners tutorial ...
 



Chalk Tables

Having seen the chalk board table tops from Creative Play House  and Casual Fridays, I totally wanted to give it a go.  My 3 year old has a table - which she uses for sticking plus playing shops, cafes, doctors, dentists, "going to work"etc - that would be perfect.

But she was horrified at the suggestion so I will have to bide my time before trying it :-(

 



Chalk Blocks

If "allowed", I would also love to chalk board some wooden blocks as Nicole at An Idea on Friday did, as it would create so many wonderful opportunities for both imaginative play and building words ...





Outdoor Chalk Boards

Now the hot weather is here it's so lovely to paint and chalk outside ... our patio is currently covered in painty kids' foot prints! ... so a big outdoor chalk board like this one from Apartment Therapy would go down a treat ...



Chalk Slabs

Or ... to save the patio! ... you could chalk board a paving stone like A Typical English Home ...




Chalk Chore Charts

I know chore charts aren't most kids ideas of fun but cute coloured frames like these ones from I Dig Pinterest would certainly help ...
 



Chalk Chore Blocks

And if your kids really need some extra motivation to help out you could make fabulous roll-a-chore  chalk board chore blocks like Day to Day Supermom ...
 


I would love to see all your chalkboard ideas ... I am now on a complete roll ... so do link them up below ... and if you're looking for other crafting ideas do check out the Mason Jar, Washi Tape, Bunting and Wreath link-ups in the Mommy Archive ... 

More Chalkboard Ideas ....

0 comments