Top tips ... 50 healthy snacks

Unknown // Monday 16 July 2012


OK, so this list is really for me to get myself out of the rut of offering the same sad assortment of oat cakes, raisins and if we're lucky banana muffins as snack options.

I could make the excuse that it's ever so tricky because my daughter refuses all fruit and veg that isn't mushed up and magically hidden in something else.

Actually, it's just that I don't get myself sorted enough to think about it before the weekly shop and by then I just can't handle having anything else whirring around in my brain that requires me to make a decision and I order exactly the same as last week and the week before and the week before that ...

So, I have put together a list of 50+ quick health snack ideas that involve almost no preparation except for some stuff that you can have fun making together earlier and then shove in the freezer and some really easy baking items.  I have to emphasise I really don't do much baking, but even I can whip up fruity or savoury muffins or very basic cakes with added fruit, in about 20 minutes from scratch with the help of a pre-schooler and they freeze well.


I've grouped the snacks up into different categories e.g. fruit & veg, dairy, cereal nuts & crisps, savoury muffins and I am going to just add one thing from 3 or 4 areas to my shopping list each week or at least make sure we have it in the cupboard or freezer.

I've summarised the list below but check out this free Mums Make Lists healthy snacks printable  - that you can download, save, print out and scribble on - for more details and ideas ...

50+ Quick Healthy Snacks


Bread & Crackers
Bagels, pitta bread, cheese on toast, apple toast, rice cakes, oat cakes, bread sticks, crackers, tortilla roll-ups,

Cakes & Biscuits
Oat bars, malt loaf, digestive biscuit (yes it's a biscuit but relatively low GI), no bake cookies, flapjacks,
oatie biscuits, carrot cake, banana loaf

Cereals, Nuts & Crisps
Granola & yoghurt, low sugar cereal - e.g. weetabix, shreddies, porridge, trail mix, sunflower seeds, "healthy" crisps - i.e. brands without salt, bad fats or other additives & junk

Dairy
Chunks of cheese, yoghurt, hard boiled egg, frozen yoghurt sticks

Dips
Cottage cheese, houmous, peanut butter, guacamole, cream cheese

Dried Fruit
Raisins, apricots, mango, banana, pineapple, strawberry, cherries, fruit bars / rolls

Fruit & Veg
Sticks of veg - carrot, celery, sweet corn, peppers, cucumber, root vegetable crisps, frozen fruit sorbet, tinned fruit, apple sauce, frozen grapes, frozen berries, stripey fruit lollies

Muffins & Scones
Fruit muffins, savoury cheese & ham muffins, savoury carrot & spinach muffins, savoury pepper & cheese muffins, muffins with veg leftovers, English muffins with e.g. tuna, cheddar, creme fraiche & sweetcorn or yoghurt strawberries and blueberries, English muffin pizzas, cheese scones

Follow Me on Pinterest

If you liked this post you may also enjoy these ...

Teeth cleaning tipsTips for handling tantrumsPotty Training Tips

0 comments