Drowning not waving!

Unknown // Monday 21 January 2013

Copyright Richard Leonard 2005 Creative Commons
I feel every week as if I am drowning in laundry!

The collecting up and sorting and shoving in and pulling out and desperately drying and folding up goes on and on and on and comes around again so quickly! 

And then there's the things I missed that were scrumpled up at the end of someone's bed and the load that has to be done again because it got forgot about and left in the machine before we even get onto that tiny blue sock that hid, hid away right in the corner of the machine before I put the whites on ...


In my fantasy world of household perfection all would be well because I would have a beautiful laundry room with a high ceiling for a drying rack, two - yes two! - big washing machines and a vast tumble drier and would have migrated from this small soggy, laundry unfriendly island where it rains most days but isn't usually cold enough to justify the heating being on ...

... but as chances of above seem a tad slim I am in desperate search of a routine or tips that somehow makes the weekly load easier and less downright depressing!



My current "routine" - I can just about call it that - works like this:

Sunday:        40c darks
Monday:       40c lights & whites
Tuesday:       30c delicates & woollens
Wednesday:  60c bed linen
Thursday:     60c bath towels
Friday:         60c kitchen & tea towels
Saturday:     WOWEE a whole day off!

I've been looking at other routines out there and they seem to boil down to:
  1. Washing day - one day a week blitz of everything like my mum used to do
  2. Mixed wash a day - whatever is in the laundry baskets each day so never get full
  3. When basket is full - every couple of days as soon as basket full
  4. Go to laundrette - some people claim big washers & driers are answer  
  5. Panic - just in time as it's needed! 
I like the washing day idea but in absence of tumble drier, laundry room & sunnier climes just couldn't make it work and unfortunately, don't think we would cut the washes by mixing items as all the loads are full.  

So for the moment it looks as if I am stuck with 6 blinking loads a week - boo hiss!  But the geek in me is convinced that somewhere out there - yes, even in this universe - there must be a logical solution that will make it easier.  So watch this space, I am off on a hunt for better laundry tips ... oh and to put another load of washing on :-( ...

If you're drowning in the washing like me you might find some of these ideas on Pinterest helpful.  Or if you've got any great ideas do come and share them on Facebook.

This post is linked up to the fabulous blog hops at Under the Table and DreamingA Bowlful of LemonsClean and ScentsibleDelightful OrderWe Are That FamilyThe Gunny SackThe Chicken Chick and Not Just a Housewife.

0 comments