Hands and Feet

Unknown // Monday 25 November 2013

I've said it bunches of times... but I'll say it again... I love my job :)  I teach at a private Christian school and LOVE that I get to share my faith with students on a daily basis.  One of my favorite parts of our school is our focus on missions. Our high school has an entire week of service in the Spring and a few years ago I got to take a group of students to Jamaica.  We don't just send students aboard, but once a quarter our middle and high schools both do a day of service where we spread out over the community and be the "hands and feet" of Jesus :)

This past week I got to be the hands and feet at a donkey rescue farm.  Yes... a donkey rescue farm.

About 45 minutes away there is a FABULOUS woman who runs a farm where she rescues displaced donkeys along with a multitude of other animals. 

We took about 25 middle schoolers out there last week to serve the owner by helping her with a multitude of "chores" that would otherwise take her TONS of time (you'd be amazed at what 25 middle schoolers can accomplish in a few hours!)

Whether it's an elementary school, food pantry, historical society or donkey rescue farm our students always rise to the occasion and do a fantastic job.

This was my second time to volunteer at the donkey rescue farm and I loved it just as much as I did the first time. The owner rescues dogs as well and they were the sweetest, most gentle dogs EVER!





The kids dug post holes, mucked out stalls, pulled weeds and helped Astrid worm the donkeys. (Sounds weird... but they had to catch all the donkeys, bring them to the barn and give them an oral medication). 

 Not all of our students were super comfortable with the animals... others were VERY comfortable :)





It was an awesome day with a great group of kids and was a great reminder/lesson in being the hands and feet of Jesus no matter what you're doing.   While mucking stalls, wrangling donkeys and digging 36" deep holes these students showed the love of Christ through selfless service and it was fantastic :)

0 comments