Favourite reads ... Pumpkin Soup

Unknown // Monday 8 October 2012

I have fallen in love with a lot of my daughter's books on the first read.  Almost everything from Julia Donaldson or Lynley Dodd for example is an instant hit - they just seem great.  Pumpkin Soup by Helen Cooper was definitely not one of these the first time we got it from the library - I thought it was weird!

But my daughter - almost 3 at the time - was mesmerised.  And last week when we had vouchers to spend at our local bookshop it was Pumpkin Soup that she chose over Alfie, Meg & Mog, Angelina Ballerina and a whole host of other great reads.  We've read it on loop since.

After multiple readings I still think it's weird - even a bit Gothic - and I am starting to think this is why she likes it.  Cat, squirrel and duck live happily together in the dark wood each with their own special job to do in making the most perfect pumpkin soup.  But when duck wants to take over stirring everything goes wrong - they have a fierce argument and duck runs away into the dark wood.

As duck doesn't return cat and squirrel have to go out into the dark wood as well which is a cue for all sorts of fears about witches, wolves and bears plus falling off steep cliffs and then fears about duck having found new and better friends.

Although, a very original story, in the end it's a classic fairy tale journey in which children can explore their darkest fears but everything works out well in the end - just about! And I have to confess - guided by the obviously far superior taste of my daughter - I am a convert.  Well done Helen Cooper!

If you're looking for more inspiration for great reads for under-5s you might like this post  which includes a list of 50 great children's authors to look out for a the library.

0 comments