Stickers, stickers, everywhere ...

Unknown // Wednesday 24 October 2012

Why oh why do children so adore stickers?

I loathe the stupid things but they seem impossible to avoid.  Nursery doles them out for anything vaguely resembling good behaviour.  The toyshop is full of them.  And it seems mandatory that every party bag must contain yet another sheet of stickers in some form or another.

I absolutely cannot understand the fascination of them and resent the fact that they are strewn all round the house - stuck to the furniture, the floor, inside the washing machine, on the bath, on clothes (wet and dry), on my shoes, the list goes on.  Worst of all they are stuck on me and on more than one occasion I have forgotten and gone to the shops with some random Disney princess - no I can't remember her blinking name! - stuck to my cheek.

And whatever entertainment they may provide for all of 2 minutes, it always seems to end in tears. I do try very hard to understand that small things seem enormously important to a 2 year old but I cannot get upset about the fact that a small scrunched up bit of paper that has long since lost its sticky has gone missing!  However, I will get incredibly upset about being instructed to drop everything that I am doing and hunt all over the house, street, park, wherever for the stupid thing!

But ... I have to confess I have succumbed.  I have with great regret accepted that one stupid gold star has more chance of eliciting cooperation in the bathroom than an hour's worth of reason, admonishment or pathetic pleading.  So gold stars it is now all round.  Have even taken to carrying them in my bag so am never caught short without a handy supply of bribes rewards.

We did have a go during potty training at combining them with a star chart which was a very bad idea.  Gruffalo, Paddington, Little Baby and a whole menagerie of other small creatures had to have a chart as well and we then descended into not only fierce arguments about whose chart belonged to who, what day of the  week it was (it was never the day mummy said!) and whether or not secondary trading of stars between charts was permissible.  Having lost the will to live, I at this point dumped the charts and just handed out stickers - huge piles of them - to be stuck all round the house!

So yes I've given in but I am sure the must be lots of other better ways to bribe reward children and would love to hear your ideas so that I can put them in a list.  Please do add them to comments below and feel free to add any posts of your own on rewarding behaviour to the linky.

There are lots of sites with fab star charts but if you want something basic, these are the ones that we tried to use - hopefully they'll work for you!
Star Chart - Flowers 1
Star Chart - Trains 1
Star Charts - Fairies
Star Charts - Flowers 2
Star Charts - Trains 2



0 comments