Urgent Garden To Do List - May

Unknown // Friday 3 May 2013


This weekend is a bank (public) holiday in the UK and the sun is going to shine!

My plan is to get in some urgent garden action.

Both the back and front gardens had to be dug up because of dodgy drains - very dull - and I still need to do some major replanting to fill in big gaps.

I planted a herb garden with lots of lavender but the plants are young and I've pruned them right back - to stop them going woody - which means yet more bare soil.

I was hoping a quick dash to the garden centre today for some trays of super cheap tiny, but quick growing annuals would do the trick.

Not a chance. All that late cold and snow has delayed everything by weeks and weeks.

There were a few tiny bedding plants that were definitely going to stay tiny so we're going to have to make do with the bare patches until the end of the month and our next bank holiday. (2 in 1 month makes sense doesn't it? Not!)

Despite the absence of the annuals for planting, we've still got a load of urgent to dos on May's list - this is my top 10 that I really must get done ...

Gardening To Do List - May


  1. Weed, weed, weed - suddenly being blighted by small very stingy nettles
  2. Mow lawn - we've only had a week or so of sunshine but already growing like topsy 
  3. Prune lavender back - was day dreaming when I did it and missed some
  4. Split out herbaceous perennials
  5. Plant summer flower seeds - I'm putting poppies, cornflowers, love in a mist, cosmos & marigolds among the herbs and my daughter is planting sunflowers
  6. Plant veg seeds - I don't have space inside so I'm going for things that can go straight out now & that I love, particularly swiss chard & spinach mixed up with flowers & herbs; my daughter saved pumpkin seeds from Halloween but must confess I have lost them - bad mummy! - so may have to sneak out, buy a packet and distress them!
  7. Plant summer bulbs - we put lots in last year but I'm doing a project with my daughter to start some off in water in jam jars inside so we can watch them starting to grow; how many will actually survive the transplant into the garden I'm not sure!
  8. Plant herbs - basil seeds in outside containers plus more sage & thyme outside as we eat lots! We don't really eat the chives but the bees love them & they look great so more going in.
  9. Stake taller plants
  10. Clear out shed which became a tip over the winter!

Would love to hear what's happening in your garden - do share your posts below.


Follow Me on Pinterest

Gardening



This post has been shared at ... Sugar Bee Crafts,  Home Stories A to Z,  The Shabby Creek Cottage,  Joyful Homemaking,  Serenity NowThe Gunny SackCrystal and CoGinger Snap Crafts, Trendy Tree HouseDomesblissityLadybird LnNot Just a HousewifeClever ChicksBe Different Act NormalSumos Sweet StuffKeeping It SimpleLines AcrossGet Your Crafts OnA Bowlful of LemonsClean and Scentsible,  Delightful OrderWe Are That FamilyBy Stephanie LynnWhipperberry,  More the Merrier Monday,  I Should Be Mopping the Floor,  Carolyn's HomeworkShabby Creek Cottage36th AvenueSix Sisters Stuff52 MantelsMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaElizabeth and CoWhatever GoesFinding FabulousThe Thrifty HomeSkip to My Lou, Five Little ChefsFluster MusterCreative PrincessDIY Crafty ProjectsThe DIY'ersNaturally Living MammaTumbleweed Contessa,Give Me the GoodsMartha Mondays

0 comments