Guest post ... suffering with extreme morning sickness

Unknown // Monday 19 November 2012

I posted a few weeks ago about my shock at what a newly pregnant friend was going through with extreme morning sickness or Hyperemesis Gravidarum HG.  To help spread the word about HG and increase the quality of support I'm really pleased to be able to include this guest post from Sophie a fellow blogger at Contented Little Mummy who suffered with HG herself - Alice, Mums Make Lists

**********************************************

Hyperemesis Gravidarum

Hyperemesis Gravidarum is extreme sickness throughout pregnancy. It isn't just morning sickness. It doesn't wear off after 10-12 weeks. A ginger biscuit or a dry piece of toast before getting out of bed doesn't work. Neither does acupuncture. Or anti sickness tablets. Or boiled sweets.

I suffered with HG for both of my pregnancies. It lasted for 18 weeks on the first and 24 weeks on the second, after which I was only vomiting in the morning once I got out of bed. The difference between HG and morning sickness is the sheer amount of time it lasts and the viciousness of it. 


Many women lose weight through the pregnancy and many, like me, end up so dehydrated they have to be admitted to hospital for IV fluids and, in my case, steroid injections to help the baby along. There are anti sickness tablets that are offered which can help a little or in many cases make you so tired you sleep instead of vomiting; especially when they are administered straight into the blood stream. Women can tear their gullets and vomit blood which is frightening and not very pleasant. 

It's hard to describe to women who haven't suffered from it. The best like for like example is that of gastric flu; feeling tired and sick and vomiting your literal stomach lining; for a good 1-9 months. Constant vomiting is tiresome. I spent the first 5 months of pregnancy between bed at home and bed at the hospital. One nurse even said;  "There wasn't such a fuss having a baby in my day".

Sadly this is the attitude toward women suffering from HG, that we're making a fuss. There are several support forums, one of the one I used was on Mumsnet where I learned that flat Dr.Pepper can ease off nausea and provide sugar for a few hours, and that sucking on an ice cube can help make you feel refreshed. I also discovered I wasn't alone in retching when brushing my teeth! It's a truly awful illness that needs awareness, research and support.  


Sophie at Contented Little Mummy.


*******************************************************************************
To find out more about HG and to get more support visit Pregnancy Sickness Support

If you've blogged on extreme morning sickness and think your post might help other mums-to-be suffering with it, please do add to the linky below.


0 comments