My secret weapon ...

Unknown // Friday 9 November 2012

As so many of my posts are about housework I feel I have to repeat over and over again that I am completely rubbish at it and would rather do just about anything other than wash, clean, hoover or dust!

However, I must confess that I am secretly really rather good at organising and I do have one secret weapon that keeps the house from complete chaos and that's my cupboard!

Never mind how messy the house is and how behind I am on the washing and that there are sheets on the stairs that I really must put away, if I need something small I can find it!  Bulb blown? Fuse fizzled? Urgent letter to post? Button needs replacing? Battery needs changing? Wrapping paper required? Bank statement sought? No hassle! No drama! No ferreting through drawers for half an hour muttering blue murder because you can't find the staples!  It's it's all there, in it's own special place, with it's own special label in the cupboard!

So in case you're drowning in the odds and sods and shrapnel of everyday life and fancy something similar - it may be sad, but I promise you it is sanity saving! - this is a list of what I've got in the cupboard.

The tubs are really useful boxes - (I have no connection with them, I just like their products) - and contain:

  • Pens
  • Drawing pins
  • Elastic bands
  • Safety pins
  • Staples
  • Stationary - scissors, stapler, hole puncher, sellotape, blue tack
  • String
  • Glue
  • Stamps
  • Ink cartridges
  • Writing paper & envelopes
  • Birthday, thank you & left over Christmas cards
  • Printing paper, labels, card, dividers, plastic wallets
  • Craft boxes 
  • Pins
  • Buttons
  • Cotton
  • Name tags
  • Needles
  • Tape measures
  • Tailor's chalk
  • Elastic
  • Shelf hooks
  • Curtain hooks
  • Coppers
  • Euros
  • Dollars
  • Shoe polish - leather
  • Shoe polish - suede
  • Shoe laces
  • Light bulbs - screw fit
  • Light bulbs - bayonet
  • Candles
  • Torches
  • Night lights
  • Fuses
  • Batteries, battery tester & charger
  • Multi socket adaptors & plugs
  • USB cables
  • Spare cables
  • First aid kit
  • Small tools excl. screw drivers
  • Screwdrivers

There are two loose folders for new and pending post and then arch lever binders for:

  • Utilities - gas, electricity, mobile, water, council tax, cable, phone, TV licence, gas care, alarm
  • Finance - bank account, savings, credit cards
  • Property - mortgage, insurance, deeds, surveys
  • Employment - payslips, P60s, P11s, tax returns, employment contracts
  • Household - instruction manuals, guarantees, receipts
  • Baby - child benefit, health records, nursery, guarantees, birth certificate

Then there's a bag on a hook on the door with shopping bags in plus rolls of wrapping paper and another bag containing umbrellas and hats!  There's a basket for all the everyday shoes that otherwise get left lying by the front door and last but not least there's a little wine rack full of lovely stuff!

Have you got any fabulous secrets for surviving chaos?

0 comments