Menu planning mare ...

Unknown // Tuesday 27 November 2012

My idea of menu planning!
My "menu planning" is a complete disaster.  In fact neither "menu" (suggesting variety) nor "planning" (indicating thought & organisation) have anything do with what is served up on our table every week.

In my defence littl'un is a complete carnivore who only eats veg pulverised in sauce and I am a fish eating veggie which is not a great combination unless you want to produce 2 meals, which as I can barely produce one, I don't.

Normally we get by because three days a week she is at nursery and on those days I just throw together something super quick for me from Nigel Slater's Real Fast Food.  (Strachiatella, quinoa with taleggio & bulgar wheat pilaf are big faves at the moment). We get through the other four days with some combination of:
  • Sausages & mash (veg sausages for me)
  • Fish fingers (whitebait from freezer for me)
  • Green-cheesey pasta (with spinach or broccoli in it)
  • Spaghetti with pulverised veg sauce
  • Veggie lasagne (again pulverised sauce)
  • Fish of some sort from our fab fishmonger on Sunday
Not exactly a great variety but at least I know it will be eaten and a reasonable amount of veg is consumed.

But now culinary disaster looms as nursery breaks up for Christmas in just 2 weeks time which means I have suddenly got to produce meals - acceptable to both of us and vaguely nutritious - for 7 days a week without resorting to pasta every single day!

So this is an urgent call for help to all you menu planning marvels out there - how can I keep a carnivore and a vegetarian fed without fuss for 3 weeks? Has anyone got a ready to go plan that will fit the bill?

0 comments